18 September 2012

Spiritually Fat

A little personal testimony by way of introduction.  Since I married Lauren almost 6 years ago (Proverbs 18:22), I’ve put on about 20 pounds...roughly 10 pounds during each of Lauren’s pregnancies.  She gained a lot more than I did during those 9 month periods, but the difference was that she would lose the weight she had gained after the babies were born.

What has happened to me – and I know many can identify with this – is that there came a time after I got married when I stopped eating like a single Bible college student (out of necessity), and I started eating like a married man whose wife can cook (for pleasure and enjoyment).

Now, I realize (and am being kindly reminded by my wife) that I need to do something about my physical condition before it gets out of hand and becomes a lot harder to reverse, because being physically fat is – let’s say this nicely – really not desirable or beneficial in any way.

Spiritually speaking, though, it’s a different situation.  None of us really want our bodies to be fat.  But there are some Bible verses that indicate it’d actually be a good thing for our souls to be fat. 


Psalm 92:13-14 Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God.  They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be FAT and flourishing; 

Proverbs 11:25 The liberal soul shall be made FAT: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.

Proverbs 13:4 The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made FAT.

Proverbs 28:25 He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the Lord shall be made FAT.

So borrowing from personal experience, how can I be spiritually fat?  I can stop eating out of necessity and start eating for pleasure and enjoyment (see Jeremiah 15:16).

And according to the above scriptures, how can I be spiritually fat?  I can plant myself in the house of God (Psalm 92:13-14).  I can give liberally (Proverbs 11:25; Acts 20:35).  I can be diligent about my spiritual life (Proverbs 13:4; 2 Peter 1:5).  And I can put my trust in the Lord (Proverbs 28:25). 

1 comment:

  1. My friend had a dream that she had eaten a burrito. When her friends found out, they told her they wished she had waited to eat this healthy food they were making so they could have abs.
    My friend felt that the dream was from God. So I searched Google, and found your blog post! It encouraged us! Thank you! Going to keep eating those spiritual burritos!

    ReplyDelete