1 Samuel 12:24 Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.
Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Some further thoughts on Samuel's sermon. Reasons I ought to sell out to God:
- Everything I have comes from Him (Acts 17:28; 1 Timothy 6:17; James 1:17; Psalm 145:16). I'm simply a steward of the blessings He's bestowed upon me.
- Jesus Christ gave His all for me (1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 2 Corinthians 4:14-15). He left the glories of heaven to spend 33½ years walking this sin-cursed earth then laid down His life willingly on a cross – not for His sin (He had none) but for mine. Why? Because He loved me and wanted to forgive me and allow me to enjoy eternity with Him in heaven.
- He richly rewards those who follow Him – both in this life and the next (1 Timothy 4:8; 1 Corinthians 9:24-25; 2 Corinthians 2:9-10; 2 Corinthians 4:16-18).
- All else is vanity – empty, meaningless (Ecclesiastes 1:14; Mark 8:36; Isaiah 40:6-8; 1 Corinthians 3:11-15). The devil's a liar and a destroyer. What he offers just doesn't last long, and it'll hurt you in the end (Hebrews 11:25; 1 Peter 5:8).
- He's a lot smarter than I am (Job 36:4, 17; Psalm 147:5; Isaiah 55:8-9). He knows and wants what's best for me (2 Samuel 22:31; Psalm 18:30; Matthew 6:8; Hebrews 4:14-16). I'd be best off following Him (Proverbs 3:5-6; Ephesians 1:11).
- There's a world full of people – including your friends, your relatives, people you care about – who are lost and dying and going to hell (Psalm 9:17; Luke 13:3; John 3:18-19; 2 Peter 3:9). Somebody has to warn them (Ecclesiastes 3:17; Amos 4:12; Mark 16:15; 2 Corinthians 5:11; Colossians 1:28)!
What's holding YOU back?