17 February 2010

Moses' Desires

Exodus 33:13 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people.


It is said that great men desire great things. No doubt Moses was a great man. So let’s take a look at what he wanted from God here in Exodus 33: (1) He wanted to know God’s way; (2) He wanted to know God’s person; and (3) He wanted to know God’s grace.


Moses got what he wanted. And if you and I want what Moses wanted, we can have what Moses got. In each case, here’s what we need to do: (1) humble ourselves; (2) trust the Lord; and (3) believe what we find as we search His word – enough to commit ourselves to doing what it says.


SHEW ME NOW THY WAY…


David often prayed the same prayer. “Lead me in thy truth, and teach me…” (Psalm 25:5). “Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path…” (Psalm 27:11). “Teach me thy way, O LORD…” (Psalm 86:11).


He also expressed His trust in the Lord and His commitment to following God’s way once He knew it. “…for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day” (Psalm 25:5). “…I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name” (Psalm 86:11).


If you and I really want to know what way God would have us to go, we need to realize that “the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps” (Jeremiah 10:23) and that God’s way is perfect (Psalm 18:30) and so much higher than our own (Isaiah 55:8-9). And if we acknowledge Him in all our ways, trusting in Him with all our hearts, He’s promised to direct our paths in the way of righteousness (Proverbs 3:5-6; Psalm 23:3; Psalm 119:105).


THAT I MAY KNOW THEE…


Paul wrote of this desire in Philippians 3:10, “That I may know Him…” Do you want to know God in a personal way? Do you want to fellowship with Him and commune with Him on a daily basis? We can. And we go about it the same way we go about getting to know anybody else. We spend time WITH Him. We talk WITH Him. We talk ABOUT Him with others who know Him so we can better know what He’s like and He likes.


The Bible says He stands at our hearts door, desiring to come in and fellowship with us. But the only way to open the door and let Him in is for us to hear His voice (Revelation 3:20). The Lord rewards those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6; Jeremiah 29:13), and He reveals Himself in the pages of His word (1 Samuel 3:21).


THAT I MAY FIND GRACE IN THY SIGHT


“Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord” (Genesis 6:8). And we too can find it at the throne of God (Hebrews 4:16). We can get in on good things we don’t deserve. There’s only one requirement. Humility. “God resiseth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble” (James 4:6).


What we want says a lot about who we are. There are abundant blessings to be received at the hand of a gracious God, if we want them enough to go after them on the terms He’s set before us. What do you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment