27 May 2010

Wasted Grace

Bro. James preached an excellent message Sunday night from David's admonition to Solomon in 1 Kings 2:1-2. It was one I needed to hear, and one that I'm sure will be a blessing to you. Click here to listen.

Toward the end of the message, Bro. James read and commented on this verse. 1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

The life of the apostle Paul was truly a token of the grace of God. And which of us couldn't say the same? Has not God been abundantly good to us? Has He not bestowed more good things on our lives than we could ever try to number? Paul recognized this, and the verse says that he labored abundantly to ensure that God's grace was not bestowed upon Him in vain. Paul worked diligently to be sure that something good came out of the goodness God had showed him.

Bro. James gave the illustration of giving money to a bum that approached him one of the first times he was out witnessing, shortly after he got saved. The next day, he saw that same bum sitting and listening to his favorite channel on his brand-new radio – that he bought with the money that Bro. James gave him. He had wasted the gift he had been given.

I don't want to waste the gift of eternal life. I don't want to waste the spiritual gifts God has given me. I don't want to waste the opportunities I've been afforded. I don't want the blessings of God on my life to come to naught at the judgment seat of Christ. I don't want God's grace to be bestowed upon me in vain.

One of my Mom's favorite things to tell me as I grew up comes from Luke 12:48. I can't tell you how many times I've been reminded, "To whom much is given, much is required." Keep reminding me, Mom. I need to hear it. Keep reminding me, preacher. I need to hear it. Keep reminding me, Christian brother. I need to hear it. Please keep convicting me, Lord. I don't want all the goodness you've heaped on my sorry, little self to be a complete and utter waste!

PRESS toward the mark (Phil. 3:14).

Follow HARD after God (Psalm 63:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment