28 July 2011

John 13:17

John 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Came across this verse this morning, and it seems to be a good follow up to the post on “Heart, Doctrine, & Life.”

1.  If ye know these things…

In order to do what is right (and thus be happy), I have to first know what is right.  In order to be a doer of the word (who is blessed in his deed), I have to first be a hearer of the word (James 1:22-25).  In order to believe the word of truth (and be saved), I must first hear the gospel (Ephesians 1:13; Romans 10:14).

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

2.  Happy are ye if ye do them.

But if I want to live a happy and blessed Christian life, I can’t stop with hearing the word of God.  I’ve got to be a doer of the word and a doer of the work (James 1:22-25).  I have to trust God enough to obey what He says (Ephesians 1:13; Romans 10:16).  Otherwise, the truth that I’ve heard is rendered unprofitable (Hebrews 4:2). 

1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.