27 November 2008

Job 34.31-32 – 11.27.08

Job 34:31-32 Surely it is meet to be said unto God, I have borne chastisement, I will not offend any more: That which I see not teach thou me: if I have done iniquity, I will do no more.

Here's another great statement from our man Elihu, as recorded in the book of Job. And it's very applicable to our lives as Christians. It is meet, it is fitting, it is suitable, it is a good thing for us to:

  • Recognize God's chastening when it has come into our lives as a result of our sin.
  • Learn from it and determine not to make the same mistake twice.
  • Humbly ask the Lord to reveal other sin in our lives so we can get rid of it without having to be chastened.

When's the last time you've done this? Have you ever done this? Let's not be so proud and deluded as to think we haven't ever or will never be in need of God's chastening. I believe it'd be safe to say that all of us will need and will experience it a number of times in the years that lie ahead.

So let's take this simple word of instruction to heart and decide how we're going to respond to God's chastening when it comes. Let us remember the words of Hebrews 12.

Hebrews 12:5-6, 11 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth…Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

And may we testify with David...

Psalm 119:67 Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.


No comments:

Post a Comment