02 December 2008

Thanks-giving – 12.2.08

Psalm 69:30-31 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs.

There is ample biblical evidence (including this verse) that clearly indicates the physical sacrifices offered in the OT were for the very same purpose that spiritual sacrifices are prescribed in the NT – as an expression of gratitude for forgiveness already rendered by God, not a means of obtaining such forgiveness from Him. (Otherwise, why would they show up in the millennial kingdom? Ezekiel 40-48; Zechariah 14:21.

Apparently, what really mattered to the Lord was not the animal that was sacrificed (though there were certainly criteria these animals had to meet, which mainly served as a picture of the sinless Lamb of God, John 1:29; 1 Peter 1:18-19) but the heart condition of the one bringing the offering and the motivation behind it.

Psalm 51:16-17 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

On a practical level, let's remember that God is pleased when we express our gratitude and give thanks for the blessings He has bestowed upon us. Forgiveness (Psalm 32:1-5). Provision (Philippians 4:19). Healing (Psalm 103:3). Answered prayer (Matthew 7:7-8; James 5:16). Truth (John 17:17). Purpose (Revelation 4:11). Eternal life (John 10:27). Abundant life (John 10:10). Assurance (1 John 5:13). Confidence (2 Corinthians 5:8; Hebrews 10:35). Love (Romans 5:5). Comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3-4). Peace (John 14:27). Power (Ephesians 3:16). Victory (1 Corinthians 15:57; 1 John 5:4). Hope (Hebrews 6:18-19).

And the list could go on and on...

Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Psalm 103:1-2 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:


4 comments:

  1. Good word brother! Interesting perspective on old and new testament sacrifices and interesting verses. That's a very important point about heart-condition and motivation. That's everything in our relationship with God right there. I appreciated all of the verses, so I read them all, except Ez. 40-48. And of course, Hebrews 13:16 goes right hand-in-hand with a heart of gratitude. Great Psalm btw, Psalm 103 causes me to rejoice in Him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word brother! Interesting perspective on old and new testament sacrifices and interesting verses. That's a very important point about heart-condition and motivation. That's everything in our relationship with God right there. I appreciated all of the verses, so I read them all, except Ez. 40-48. And of course, Hebrews 13:16 goes right hand-in-hand with a heart of gratitude. Great Psalm btw, Psalm 103 causes me to rejoice in Him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you having this blog. It is something I personally need so very much each day. I have been just going through the motions of being a child of God each Sunday in church. I am very depressed and I have no real relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. I think that I am always under His wrath each day. And I wonder does He really love and care for me. Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, have you ever been born again? Have your sins been forgiven, has your soul been redeemed by the precious blood of the God's Son, the Lord Jesus Christ? If not, then you are absolutely right. You have no relationship to God, you are under His wrath, and you have every reason to be depressed.

    If you are, in fact, saved, then none of that is so. Please hear these truths on the 3 types of men in the Bible:

    http://www.jamesknox.com/mp3/doctrineofthechurch/20081123pm_Personalities.mp3

    ReplyDelete