14 July 2009

Honest Inquiry – 7.14.09

Ezekiel 14:7-8 For every one of the house of Israel, or of the stranger that sojourneth in Israel, which separateth himself from me, and setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to a prophet to enquire of him concerning me; I the LORD will answer him by myself: And I will set my face against that man, and will make him a sign and a proverb, and I will cut him off from the midst of my people; and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

Ezekiel picks up in Babylon right where Jeremiah left off in Judah. And the people haven't changed a bit. In this 14th chapter, the elders of Israel come to the prophet to "enquire" of the Lord. They're seeking direction. They're asking for guidance. They're looking for help.

Problem is they have set up idols in their heart. They want God's blessings, they're just not all that interested in His commandments. They want God's direction, they're just not about to pay any attention to His instructions. They're seeking for His leading in their situation, but they've failed to consult the scriptures wherein God has clearly revealed His will.

The answer that comes back from the Lord is, "REPENT!" Here's your help, elders. Here's your direction, leaders. Here's your guidance, men of Israel. Get rid of your idols. Turn away from your iniquities. Fall down on your face before me and get your heart right. Then we'll talk.

Here's an important principle that runs throughout the word of God. God generally doesn't give out additional information to those who aren't already making the most of what they've got.

When we need direction from the Lord, we need to be able to approach Him as an "honest enquirer" – following His word to the best of our knowledge, and coming to Him with a heart that is clean, a mind that is pure, and a will that is resolved to do whatever He says.

As we study the scriptures and go to God for more light, let's make sure to take a moment to examine our lives and ask, "Am I, to the best of my knowledge, doing all I can to walk in the light He has already given me." Jesus said, "He that doeth my will, he shall know of the doctrine…" (John 17:17).

No comments:

Post a Comment