19 November 2009

Siloam – 11.19.09

John 9 records the account of a man that was blind from his birth – not for his sin or the sin of his parents, but "that the works of God should be made manifest in him" (v. 3). The method used by the Lord in this particular miracle is interesting (vv. 6-7). Jesus approached the man, spat on the ground, made clay of the spittle, anointed the blind man's eyes, and sent him to wash in the pool of Siloam. Verse 7 says, "He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing."

I've read this passage multiple times, but what I had never noticed or thought about was the significance of the pool of Siloam. There's an important parenthesis in verse 7 that points out the meaning of the name of the pool – it means SENT.

According to John 9, why was the blind man healed? To manifest the works of God (v. 3). And what did the blind man do as soon as he was healed? Testified to his neighbors (vv. 8-12) and the Pharisees (vv. 13-34) of the power of Jesus Christ, then worshipped the Lord (vv. 35-38).

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound

That saved a wretch like!

I was once lost but now am found;

Was blind but now I see.

Question: Have you been SAVED? Have your BLIND eyes been opened by Jesus Christ? Are you WASHED in the blood of the Lamb? Then you've also been SENT. You've been SENT to manifest the works of God by testifying to your friends, your neighbors, your family, your community, and all the world of WHO IT WAS that turned you from darkness to light (Acts 26:18).

  • The Father SENT the Son to be the Savior of the world (1 John 4:9, 10, 14; John 3:17; Acts 3:26).
  • The Spirit is SENT to comfort and empower the believer (John 14:26; Luke 24:49).
  • And the believer is SENT to tell the world that JESUS SAVES…

John 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

1 Timothy 2:5-6 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

If you're SAVED, then you've been SENT!

3 comments:

  1. keep up the good word and work!

    everyone thinks the internet is evil, but so much good can be accomplished here.

    blessings to you and your beautiful wife!

    -myletterstoemily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, I am blind literally, and I do not know anyone who is interested in me getting my eyesight. I have asked around, but no one really cares, so therefore I remain blind. So much for hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Anonymous," with all due respect, I care about something far more important than your physical eyesight - I care about your eternal soul.

    Jesus said that it'd be better to have spiritual sight and physical blindness (and end up in heaven with a glorified body) than physical sight and spiritual blindness (and end up in the dark torment of hell forever).

    Matthew 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

    ReplyDelete