Passing along this note sent out by Bro. James yesterday afternoon:
1. No one enjoys seeing an idol fall more than I do. It sickens me to see Americans giving the adoration that should belong to Jesus Christ to mortals, for any reason.
2. The God who said, Thou shalt not commit adultery, also said Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. Why anyone is surprised that a man who curses the name of Jesus Christ over a poorly hit golf ball would be unfaithful to his wife is a mystery to me. He is what he is; an unsaved man.
3. The jokes are funny. I've told some and laughed at many.
4. That being said, can we not all see that the only possible way a man who has gained the whole world could ever come to know the Lord Jesus Christ as his savior would be to watch that world collapse. Were there ever a chance that a Zach Johnson or other born again man who is an acquaintance of Woods could reach him with the gospel it would be now.
5. What if all of us who are saved would pray for the soul of this man and his wife. Jesus died for him. He may be ready to listen to a message of hope and peace at such a time as this. If he is ever going to get saved it will be through all this ugly mess he has made. Please join me in praying for his salvation.
Some additional thoughts:
1. Only Jesus Christ can satisfy. If what Tiger Woods has achieved and obtained isn't enough to satisfy, why waste your life chasing the very same things (the popularity, the fame, the money, the model, the mansion)?2. The whole world lieth in wickedness (1 John 5:19). He might lose some endorsements. He might lose some fans. He might become the brunt of some jokes for a while. But at the end of the day, he will still be worshipped and adored. All the sports writers I've read could care less about what he did, they're just mad he's not sharing the gory details. I even heard the "Rev." Al Sharpton condemned Woods, not for what he did, but for leaving out black women when he cheated on his wife. When not spilling your guts in front of the media and a seeming failure to embrace "diversity" are sins and adultery isn't, you know your nation is beyond hope.
Some relevant scriptures to consider:
Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
Proverbs 27:20 Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.
1 Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
Numbers 32:23 But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.
Luke 12:2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;