Acts 9:5-6 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
- If you could talk to God tonight, what questions would you ask Him?
- Paul asked the 2 most important questions a man could ever ask of God.
I. WHO ART THOU, LORD?
- Paul wanted to know God (Philippians 3:7-10)
A. You can know about God by reading the Bible (1 Samuel 3:21)
1. Who He is
a. The CREATOR (Genesis 1:1; Exodus 20:11; John 1:1-3; Colossians 1:16-17)
b. The SAVIOR (Isaiah 43:11; Matthew 1:21; 1 Timothy 4:10; 1 John 4:14)
c. The JUDGE (Genesis 18:25; Psalm 50:6; Acts 17:30-31)
2. What He is like
a. HOLY, harmless, separate from sinners (Hebrews 7:26)
b. GOOD to all (Psalm 145:9)
c. JUST and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus (Romans 3:26)
d. FULL OF COMPASSION, gracious, longsuffering, plenteous in mercy and truth (Psalm 86:15)
e. God is LOVE (1 John 4:8), and He's a CONSUMING FIRE (Hebrews 12:29)
f. the SAME yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).
3. What He is called (just to name a few)
ALMIGHTY GOD (Genesis 17:1); THE ALPHA & OMEGA (Revelation 1:8), THE ANCIENT OF DAYS (Daniel 7:9); THE AMEN (Revelation 3:14); THE COMFORTER (John 14:26); THE COUNSELOR (Isaiah 9:6); THE CREATOR (1 Peter 4:9); THE EVERLASTING FATHER (Isaiah 9:6); EMMANUEL (Matthew 1:23); THE FAITHFUL & TRUE WITNESS (Revelation 19:11); HEAVENLY FATHER (Matthew 6:9); THE GOOD SHEPHERD (John 10:11); THE GREAT SHEPHERD (Hebrews 13:20); my GREAT HIGH PRIEST (Hebrews 4:14); HOLY (Isaiah 57:15); my HELPER (Hebrews 13:6); my HOPE (1 Timothy 1:1); THE I AM THAT I AM (Exodus 3:14); JEALOUS (Exodus 34:14); JEHOVAH (Psalm 83:18); THE JUST (Acts 3:14); THE KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS (Revelation 19:11); THE LAMB OF GOD WHICH TAKETH AWAY THE SIN OF THE WORLD (John 1:29); THE LAWGIVER (Isaiah 33:22); THE LIGHT (John 1:9); THE LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH (Revelation 5:5); THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS (Jeremiah 23:6); our MAKER (Psalm 75:6); our MASTER (John 13:13); our MEDIATOR (1 Timothy 2:5); our MESSIAH (Daniel 9:25); THE PRINCE OF PEACE (Isaiah 9:6); the REDEEMER (John 19:26); the ROCK (1 Corinthian 10:4); the STAR (Numbers 24:17); the SCEPTER (Numbers 24:17); the SERVANT (Isaiah 42:1); the SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS (Malachi 4:2); the TRUE GOD AND ETERNAL LIFE (1 John 5:20); THE WAY; THE TRUTH; AND THE LIFE (John 14:26); the WORD (John 1:1); WONDERFUL (Isaiah 9:6)!
B. You can believe the gospel and know Him personally.
1. God became a man and revealed Himself in the person of Jesus Christ (1 John 5:20)
2. Jesus came so we can know God. The way to do so is to believe. The promise is eternal life. (John 10:14, 26-28; John 17:3)
3. Hell awaits those who know about God but do not know Him personally (Matthew 7:22-23; 2 Thessalonians 1:8).
C. You can know Him better by spending time with Him – 2 Peter 3:18; James 4:8
II. LORD, WHAT WILT THOU HAVE ME TO DO?
A. This question naturally follows the honest asking and correct answering of the first.
1. He is the Lord and has every right to demand our service (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
2. He is all-wise and knows what is best for us (2 Samuel 22:31; Isaiah 55:6-9).
3. He is all-loving and wants what is best for us (Psalm 145:16).
B. Jesus Christ is our example (1 Peter 2:21). He came to do the Father's will (Hebrews 10:7; Luke 22:42).
C. We must make a conscious decision and effort to surrender our will to God's (Romans 12:1-2). This is our reasonable service.
- Paul wanted to KNOW God – "Who art thou, Lord?"
- Paul wanted to PLEASE God – "Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?"
I have decided to follow Jesus…
The world behind me the cross before me…
Though none go with me still I will follow…
No turning back, no turning back.