21 October 2009

What It Means To Be A Christian – 10.21.09

Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

I. A BELIEVER ON JESUS CHRIST

Acts 11:21 – These people had turned from all else and believed on Jesus Christ ALONE for the salvation of their soul

A. Someone who denies the deity of Christ is not a Christian (1 John 2:22; 1 John 4:3; 2 John 1:7-11)

B. Someone who is trusting their works – on any level – is not a Christian (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Romans 3:19-28; Galatians 2:21)

II. A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST

Acts 11:26 – They were called Christians. The fact that they believed on Jesus Christ was evident in their day to day lives (assembling, learning the scriptures, exhorting one another, preaching the word (vv. 19-26).

One cannot be a Christian without being saved, but one can be saved without being a Christian. A Christian is a saved person who lives like it.

This is what the world needs. There are enough religious people who claim to be Christians and aren't. And there are enough saved people who claim the name of Christ but bear no resemblance to their Heavenly Father.

Galatians 1:4 – The Bible never says that Jesus came to save me from hell. The Bible says Jesus came to save me from my sin, so I could be delivered from this present evil world. Missing hell and gaining heaven is a glorious blessing that's included.

Ephesians 2:8-10 – I am not saved by my works, but I am saved in order to do good works. Religion gets this backward. Religion says grace > good works > salvation. The Bible says grace > salvation > good works.

Titus 2:11-14 – Again, the grace of God means I have a blessed hope of entering heaven, but in the meantime it teaches me to live right. Jesus Christ gave himself to redeem us from iniquity and purify unto Himself a peculiar people zealous of good works.

2 Timothy 1:19-22 – Let everyone that nameth the name of Christ (Christian) depart from iniquity. Why did the angel tell Mary to call His name Jesus? "For he shall save his people FROM THEIR SINS" (Matthew 1:21). A Christian must depart from iniquity / flee youthful lusts AND follow after righteousness. Because righteousness is elusive (I have not attained so I press toward the mark, Philippians 3:12-14) and iniquity is in pursuit of me. If I'm standing still, I'm losing ground. I am not a Christian.

2 comments:

  1. David Brown, this is Roe Dudley, it is good to know that you finally got right with God. I would like to challenge you to a debate on the Gap.... Just being serious.If you want to talk either look me up in DE under Roe & Jessica, or just look out your window, and I will be lookin right back at ya. rjmdudley@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roe! Great to hear from you (you crazy person). Would love to talk but didn't find your number. Call me 386.736.9274. Always fun to discuss the Gap (doctrine, not clothing store) but I'm not sure how good a debate it'd be if we're both taking the same position (nor am I sure why the Gap came to mind after reading this post). Look forward to your call.

    ReplyDelete