Here's one that I didn't preach but had ready just in case…
Ecclesiastes 7:17 Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?
1. Every man has an appointment with death (Hebrews 9:27; Romans 5:12).
2. Nobody knows when that appointment is.
3. The timing of that appointment is ultimately up to God (Ecclesiastes 8:8; Revelation 9:6).
4. There are some things one can do that can have an effect on the timing of that appointment (Ecclesiastes 7:17; Psalm 55:23; Proverbs 11:19).
I. OBEY AND HONOR YOUR PARENTS – Ephesians 6:1-3
A. Obey (your actions)
1. To comply with the orders or instructions of a superior; to do that which is commanded or required and to forbear doing that which is prohibited; to submit to the government of; to be ruled by; to submit to the direction or control of authority.
2. It is the duty of your parents, preacher, teacher, etc. to tell you what to do. It is your duty to obey.
B. Honor (your attitude)
1. To revere; to respect; to treat with deference and submission, and perform relative duties to; to reverence; to manifest the highest veneration for; to entertain the most exalted thoughts of; to dignify; to raise to distinction or notice; to elevate in rank or station; to exalt
2. God requires both obedience and honor.
3. Rebellion will get you nowhere but an early grave.
II. FEAR GOD – Proverbs 3:1-2; Proverbs 3:13-16; Proverbs 9:10-11; Proverbs 10:27
1. It is a holy awe or reverence of God and his laws, which springs from a just view and real love of the divine character, leading the subjects of it to hate and shun everything that can offend such a holy being, and inclining them to aim at perfect obedience.
2. It is a RESPECT for God's holiness and a RECOGNITION of His judgment that RESULTS in my desire to please Him, which leads to length of days.
III. HATE COVETOUSNESS – Proverbs 28:16
A. It is an inordinate desire for the possessions of another (Exodus 20:17). It is making a god out of stuff (Colossians 3:5).
B. We must beware that we're not deceived into thinking this life is all about the pursuit of stuff – or that it will make us happy (Luke 12:15).
C. Covetousness stems from a heart that is not satisfied with God's provision (Hebrews 13:5; 1 Timothy 6:6-8).