Isaiah 48:1 Hear ye this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, which swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of Israel, but not in truth, nor in righteousness.
It's interesting (and depressing) to read through the book of Isaiah and note the times when what Isaiah said regarding Israel is true of modern America. Below is a sampling of such cases.
- Isaiah 1:4 Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.
- Isaiah 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.
- Isaiah 5:23 Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!
- Isaiah 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.
- Isaiah 29:11-12 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
- Isaiah 30:9-10 That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD: Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
Now a brief word on our opening passage. As a Christian in this sinful world, do you not tire at hearing the name of our Almighty God thrown around as a curse or an oath? Don't you just become weary at hearing people utter the high and holy name of Jesus Christ as nothing more than a weak expression of shock or amazement? Don't you look forward with anticipation to the day when every knee shall bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ IS LORD to the glory of God the Father!
Unfortunately, there's not much we can do to stop keep lost people from doing what lost people do or saying what lost people say. You can and should explain to a blasphemer why their words are offensive and ask that figure out another way to express themselves, but don't be surprised if your request is ignored.
What we can do is this. We can counter the swearing of the infidels by making mention of the name of God – in truth and in righteousness (Isaiah 48:1). In Job 36:1, Elihu also proceeded and said, Suffer me a little, and I will shew thee that I have yet to speak on God's behalf. I will fetch my knowledge from afar, and will ascribe righteousness to my Maker.
Oh, that God's people would praise God's name as much as the devil's children curse it. Oh, that there were a Christian proclaiming the gospel of God's grace for every sinner blaming Him for their problem. Oh, that there were a witness to counter every blasphemy.
Do your part. Make mention of God's name – in truth and in righteousness.