05 August 2008

What Do You Glory In? – 7.29.08

Jeremiah 9:23-24 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Over the past couple weeks, I had the privilege to participate in the annual boys' and girls' trips at Bible Baptist. I saw things I had never seen before (some spectacular Smokey Mountain views, a black bear in "the wild," a waterfall in the middle of a mountain cavern, an underground lake…and more), did things I had never done before (jumped into the river off a 35-foot ledge, slid down 60 feet of rock into a different, frigid river, snorkeled at Ichetucknee Springs…and more), praised God for protection and answered prayer (surviving quite a scare on an interstate overpass, hour upon hour and mile upon mile of perfect weather, a cut on a knee that could've been much worse…and more), and just had a BLAST the whole time.

To me it was very fitting to come across the above passage in my Bible reading on the first week of the adventure. As God Almighty allowed me to enjoy His awesome creation, it was the perfect time to be reminded of the fact that the BEST thing that any of us have going for us is the fact that we have a relationship with this Almighty God! Think of it. The God that hung the stars; the God that formed the mountains; the God that created the oceans and rivers; the God that spoke the universe into existence – I know Him. I'm His son. He loves me. He provides for me. He protects me. He instructs me. He hears my prayers. He answers according to His will. There's nothing better in this life or the next!

To glory is to exult with joy; to rejoice; to boast of; to be proud of. This nation is full (and our churches are full) of people who can find nothing better to glory in, to brag about, to devote themselves to, than their own intellect, their own ability, their own wealth, or their own status, or their own connections, their own experiences, their own achievements, etc. Praise God that life doesn't have to be that shallow!

If I've got anything to be proud about, it's my God. If I've got anything to boast about, it's my Savior. If there's anyone who needs to be lifted up, it's my Creator. If there's anybody who can put true joy in my heart, it's the lovely Lord Jesus. If I have anything to glory in, it's not anything I have done or will do or could do, it's my God.

He's loving. He's kind. He's just. He's righteous. I've been blessed by His grace. I've been spared by His mercy. I've experienced His care. I've received His direction. I've trusted in Him, and He's never failed!

Why don't we put aside the petty vanities of this world and glory in the LORD! Why don't we get excited about something that really matters and will matter forever, rather than that which is fleeting and temporal.

Everything this world glories in, everything this world tries to distract us with – it's all a lame replacement for a relationship with and service to a God Who is eternal, and powerful, and good. So seek His kingdom. Rejoice in His love. Read His book. Bring honor to His name. Tell somebody about Him.

Amen and Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment