When it comes to OT typology, I need help. I enjoy it. I just usually need somebody to show me, because I rarely see these things for myself. Here are some notes from Brother James’s Old Testament Survey book on the Passover lamb of Exodus 12.
John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
1 Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
The Passover Lamb / The Lamb of God
- Not one time do we find the words “lambs” in the passage. All pictures Christ.
- The congregation of Israel was the one who killed the Lamb (Exodus 12:3; Matthew 27:25).
- The lamb was per house (Exodus 12:3; Acts 16:31).
- They were also to take the lamb and share the lamb with their neighbor (Exodus 12:4; Acts 1:8).
- The lamb was to be without blemish (Exodus 12:5; 1 Peter 1:18-19).
- It was to be put to death on the fourteenth day of the month (Exodus 12:6; John 18:39; et al).
- The blood must be applied (Exodus 12:7; Ephesians 1:7).
- The lamb was to be roasted with fire (Exodus 12:8; Acts 2:27).
- It was eaten with bitter herbs, not raw, not sodden with water (Exodus 12:8-9; John 19:28-30).
- Nothing was to remain until the morning (Exodus 12:10; Mark 15:42-43).
- Judgment on those who do not apply the blood (Exodus 12:12; 2 Thessalonians 1:8).
- Only the blood can save (Exodus 12:13; 1 John 1:7).
- They were to remember this day by keeping a feast (Exodus 12:14; 1 Corinthians 11:26).
The Passover / The Lord’s supper
- The Lord’s (Exodus 12:11; 1 Corinthians 11:20)
- Memorial (Exodus 12:14; 1 Corinthians 11:24-26)
- Feast (Exodus 12:14; 1 Corinthians 5:8)
- An ordinance (Exodus 12:14, 43; 1 Corinthians 11:2)
- Keep it (Exodus 12:14; 1 Corinthians 5:8; 11:24)
- All the congregation (Exodus 12:47; 1 Corinthians 10:17)
- No foreigners (Exodus 12:45; 1 Corinthians 11:33)
- No defiled person (Numbers 9:10-11; 1 Corinthians 5:1-5)