11 January 2011

The Power of Example

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

To me, the implication here is that to break the commandments is to teach men to do so.  That breaking and teaching to break are synonymous.  To do one is to do the other.

I don’t think Jesus is calling anyone out for heading up a course of study in Commandment Breaking 101.  Rather, He’s speaking to the power of example.


Simply defined, to teach is to impart knowledge or skill to.  By definition, teaching does not have to be verbal.

So here’s the question.  What are you teaching by your example?  We tend to forget that at any stage in our lives, someone is looking up to us.  Whoever you are, someone is paying attention to what you do, what you say, how you act, how you respond, etc.  What are they learning from you?  What habits might they pick up on?  What attitudes might rub off on them?  What will their priorities look like, if modeled after yours?

That’s a powerful thought.  I don’t know about you, but I want to do God’s will.  And by so doing, I want to impart that knowledge and ability to anybody who cares to notice. 

God give me a heart like Ezra’s.  Ezra 7:10 For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments.

Lord help me be able to say with the apostle Paul, 1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.  Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

Amen.