31 July 2008

Full Heart – 11.6.07

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalm 119:11)

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Colossians 3:16)

We have previously discussed the need for our hearts to be "empty," but today I'd like for us to consider the need for our hearts to be "full." As we pour out our hearts unto God, it is equally important for us to allow Him to speak to us. And He does so through His word. This filling of our hearts with the Holy Bible will have a two-fold result:

1. I might not sin against thee. It is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit to "lead us into all truth" and "bring all things to our remembrance" (John 14:26). If we fill our hearts with the word of God, the Holy Spirit will bring God's truth to mind in time of temptation and provide for us a "way of escape" (1 Corinthians 10:13). It then becomes our decision whether or not to take the way of escape. Having God's word in our hearts doesn't guarantee victory over temptation, but it does provide the opportunity for victory over temptation. That's why Psalm 119 says, "I might not sin against thee."

2. Teaching and admonishing one another…singing with grace in your hearts. If we fill our hearts with God's word, He will enable us to minister to the needs of others. The prophet Ezekiel illustrates this truth (13:1-4):

Moreover he said unto me, Son of man, eat that thou findest; eat this roll, and go speak unto the house of Israel. So I opened my mouth, and he caused me to eat that roll. And he said unto me, Son of man, cause thy belly to eat, and fill thy bowels with this roll that I give thee. Then did I eat it; and it was in my mouth as honey for sweetness. And he said unto me, Son of man, go, get thee unto the house of Israel, and speak with my words unto them.

1 Peter 4:11 says, If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man ministr, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Man shall not live by bread alone! So enjoy your feast on God's word today.

No comments:

Post a Comment