31 July 2008

Trapped by Your Own Words – 2.29.08

Today, let's take a look back at the verse we used to introduce this study. Proverbs 18:21 says, Death and life are in the power of the tongue. We noted that God compares our tongues to fire, swords, bows, arrows, and poison with the ability to smite, destroy, and slay others.

Today I'd like for us to consider from the Bible the consequences in our own lives when we use the power of the tongue in the wrong way.

It's amazing how many phrases and sayings we use everyday come from the Bible [had a link for a list of 75]. Another example of such is the phrase, "trapped by your own words."

  • If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse (Job 9:20).
  • Thine own mouth condemneth thee, and not I: yea, thine own lips testify against thee (Job 15:6).
  • Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth (Proverbs 6:2).
  • A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes (Proverbs 18:6).
  • A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul (Proverbs 18:7).
  • The words of a wise man's mouth are gracious; but the lips of a fool will swallow up himself (Ecclesiastes 10:12).
  • For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned (Matthew 12:37).
  • And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant (Luke 19:22).

Improper words have the potential to greatly hurt others. And saying the wrong thing can also get us in big trouble. Let's be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment