31 July 2008

What Is Acceptable: Part 1 – 3.11.08

Proverbs 10:32 says, The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness. In Psalm 19:14 David prayed, Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

If God is going to judge us one day on the basis of our words (Matthew 12:37) and on the basis of His words (John 12:47-50), then it would be well worth our while to find out what is acceptable to Him.

Our next three lessons will focus on what the Bible says about:

(1) The good things we should use our tongue, lips, mouth to do

(2) The good things we should speak about

(3) The good way in which we should do so

Today let's draw our attention to 4 good things we can use our tongue to do.

1. SING GOD'S PRAISE

  • Psalm 40:2-3…He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.
  • Psalm 51:4…My tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
  • Psalm 63:3…Because thy loving kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
  • Psalm 71:23…My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.
  • Psalm 89:1…I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
  • Psalm 119:171…My lips shall utter praise, when thou hast taught me thy statutes.
  • Psalm 126:2…Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The Lord hath done great things for them.

Has God delivered you from the pit? Is He righteous? Has He proven Himself loving and kind? Have you been redeemed by His grace? Is He merciful? Is He faithful? Has He directed your steps in the counsel of His word? Has He done great things for you? Then it would be an acceptable thing to praise Him in song.

2. SPEAK GOD'S PRAISE

  • Hebrews 13:15…By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
  • Psalm 34:1…I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
  • Psalm 51:15…O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
  • Psalm 71:8…Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honor all the day.
  • Psalm 109:30…I will greatly praise the Lord with my mouth; yea, I will praise him among the multitude.
  • Psalm 145:21…My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.
  • Psalm 149:6…Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand.
  • Romans 15:6…That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

You don't have to be in the church house with an open hymnal to offer praise to the Lord. Do it in the prayer closet, in the shower, at the restaurant, on the job, in the public place. "God is good – all the time," so let's praise His name – all the time.

3. PROCLAIM GOD'S WORD

  • 1 Peter 4:11…If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God.
  • 2 Samuel 23:2…The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.
  • Psalm 119:172…My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteous.
  • Hebrews 13:7…Remember them…who have spoken unto you the word of God.

God does not speak to man in an audible voice from heaven. He speaks to man through His word. It is the Holy Spirit's desire to reprove of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:7), and the only way for Him to do so is if Christians speak His words. The Spirit and the bride say, Come (Revelation 22:17).

God's words are quick and powerful (Hebrews 4:12). God's words will not return void (Isaiah 55:11). May we spread His message to all the world.

4. PRAY

  • Psalm 21:2…Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and hast not withholden the request of his lips.
  • Psalm 54:2…Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth.

What a privilege it is to enter the presence of God and speak to the Almighty Creator. God delights in the prayers of His children (Proverbs 15:8). Let's not forget to daily spend time in fellowship and communion with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment