Death and life are in the power of the tongue. (Proverbs 18:21)
What a difference between a member that is yielded to unrighteousness and one that is yielded to the Lord! If we go one direction, we can destroy, smite, and slay one another with the fire, sword, bow, arrow, and poison that is our tongue. And yet that same tongue has the power to bring life from death, peace from turmoil, and hope from despair.
Let's take a look at what the Bible says about the good we can do with the words that we speak:
- Psalm 17:4…By the words of thy lips I have kept me back from the paths of the destroyer
- Proverbs 10:11…The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life
- Proverbs 12:6…The mouth of the upright shall deliver them
- Proverbs 15:4…A wholesome tongue is a tree of life
- Proverbs 15:23…A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, ho good is it!
- Proverbs 16:21…The sweetness of the lips increaseth learning
- Proverbs 20:15…The lips of knowledge are a precious jewel
- Proverbs 25:11…A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver
- Ephesians 4:29…[Good] communication, to the use of edifying, minister grace to the hearers
- Ephesians 4:15…Speaking the truth in love, grow up into him in all things
We can use the power of the tongue to lead a lost person to the Way of eternal life, to deliver a brother or sister from error and destruction, to instruct a fellow believer, to build each other up, to minister grace, to bring joy…Inside your mouth today is a well of life (speaking of refreshment), a tree of life (speaking of nourishment), a precious jewel, and a golden apple (speaking of priceless value).
But yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. (Romans 6:13)