31 July 2008

I Want That Mountain – 12.20.07

Greetings, one and all!

For 2½ months these bi-weekly devotions have concentrated on the different types of hearts found in the Bible. And we have by no means exhausted that list. I hope it's been a blessing to you. I know it has been a help to me.

Quick break before we move into another series…

I've been reading for the past couple days through the book of Joshua. Chapter 10, verse 42 pretty much summarizes what I've read to this point. And all these kings and their land did Jshua take at one time, because the Lord God of Israel fought for Israel. Chapter 11, verse 12 says, And al lthe cities of those kings, and all the kings of them, did Joshua take, and smote them with the edge fo the sword, and he utterly destroyed them, as Moses the servant of the Lord commanded.

Joshua and the children of Israel entered the land of Canaan with a promise from God that it was all theirs. With a promise from God that He would fight for them and destroy their enemies. Yet, Joshua and the armies of Israel still had to go in and take what rightfully belonged to them.

This parallels the Christian experience. We have victory in Jesus Christ (Romans 7:25; 1 Corinthians 15:57-58). We are more than conquerors through Him that loved us (Romans 8:37). We have been given all things pertaining to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3-4). Yet, it is our responsibility to go out into the battle and take the victory that has been given us.

Remember Caleb? He and Joshua were the only adults in all the nation who survived the wilderness wanderings...because they were the only 2 spies who brought back a good report at Kadesh-barnea ("10 were bad and 2 were good"). In chapter 14, Caleb was 85 years old, and he decided it was time for him to take the mountain that had been given him as a reward for his faithfulness. Now, that mountain he had been given was occupied by giants who lived in great, fenced cities. But Caleb knew in his heart (14:12), "if so be the Lord will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the Lord said."

What mountain, what victory, what conquest has God given you that you are yet to take? God has promised victory over that sin in your life. It's up to you to claim the victory and go out and get it. What giants need to be cleared from your mountain before you can enjoy the fulness of God's blessings? If He goes with you, you'll be able to drive them out. And He has promised to never leave or forsake us (Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5).

I saw the Giant of Prayerlessness upon the mountain high; He laughed so hard at my unbended knee.

No longer in the wilderness I'll stay, and so I cry: I want that mountain, it belongs to me!

There was a Giant of Laziness who said I wouldn't go And witness for the One who set me free.

I'll come from out the wilderness, I'll witness now I know; I want that mountain, it belongs to me!

One Faithless Giant upon the crest of Hebron's lofty height has vowed that he's the one to make me flee.

I'll climb from out the wilderness! and trust Jehovah's might! I want that mountain, it belongs to me!

Let ev'ry Giant of Distress and Unbelief and Sin Get ready now to vacate, for you see:

I've come from out the wilderness! I know I'm going to win! I want that mountain, it belongs to me!

Chorus

I want that mountain! I want that mountain! Where the milk and honey flow, where the grapes of Eshcol grow.

I want that mountain! I want that mountain! The mountain that my Lord has given me.

Thanks be to God which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment